LGBTQ History Month
LGBT+ History Month 2023: Behind the Lens
The LGBT+ History Month 2023 #BehindTheLens celebrates LGBT+ peoples’ contribution to cinema and film from behind the lens. Directors, cinematographers, screen writers, producers, animators, costume designers, special effects, make up artists, lighting directors, musicians, choreographers and beyond.
At a time when LGBT+ lives are in the media we also encourage you to look ‘Behind the Lens’ and listen to LGBT+ peoples’ lived experiences.
2023 also marks 20 years since Section 28, the law that banned “promotion of homosexuality” in the UK, was repealed. It was an attack on LGBTQ+ visibility, and together we resisted. And we’ve made progress in leaps and bounds since. But with parts of the community still under attack, we must remember why we can’t go back, and come together to keep moving forward.
This LGBT+ History Month, let’s learn from our past and keep standing in solidarity to make history for our communities!
Source; Stone Wall: https://www.stonewall.org.uk/our-work/campaigns/lgbt-history-month-2023Check out this LGBTQ time line of LGBT Laws and fight for rights:
Click this link to look at the Voices and Visibility Time line, once you log on, scroll down to the time line and you can click and hear the commentary about each person: http://voicesandvisibility.org.uk/
- Claiming our past – Celebrating our present – Creating our future
- The Proud Trust offers support and help for both adults and young people; https://www.theproudtrust.org/
- Capel Manor College There are on site Counsellors and Mentors located in Student Services, if you have anything that you would like to discuss please come to Student Services.
- Out Side Agencies:
Gallop offer support for the LGBT+ community, Our team has decades of experience in supporting LGBT+ people who are victims of domestic abuse, sexual violence, hate crime, so-called conversion therapies, honour-based abuse, forced marriage, and other forms of abuse. https://galop.org.uk/
- Get Connected is the UK's free, confidential helpline service for young people under 25 who need help, but don't know where to turn. By phone Call FREE on 0808 808 4994 Open from 11am - 11pm every day http://www.getconnected.org.uk
- Child Line is a free and confidential 24 hour helpline for children and young people in the UK. Calls do not show up on mobile phone or landline bills. 0800 1111. https://www.childline.org.uk
- The London Lesbian and Gay Switchboard (LLGS) offers details of helplines and instant messaging support and information to lesbian, gay, bisexual & transgendered communities.. LLGS also offer a free confidential helpline open from 10am – 11pm – 0300 330 0630. http://switchboard.lgbt
- Connexions direct Free and confidential helpline for young people. Calls from landline are free and won’t show on the phone bill. Calls from mobiles are charged but they will call you back. Open 8am-2pm. 08080013219 www.connexions-direct.com
- Inclusion For All IFA offers training and inspiration to teachers and school leaders to tackle homophobia and bullying. http://inclusionforall.co.uk
- Stonewall – A national campaign organisation promoting gay rights and they provide a free information service. Freephone information line can be reached on 08000 50 20 20 and is open Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 5.30pm http://www.stonewall.org.uk
- Families and friends of Lesbians and Gays If you, your family or friends need support, reassurance or information, please call our confidential helpline on: 0845 652 0311 All calls charged at 2p per minute plus network charges http://www.fflag.org.uk
- R U Coming Out inspires, supports and unites those who are living their lives either completely, or partially in the closet. http://www.rucomingout.com
- Mermaids; Family and individual support for teenagers and children with gender identity issues. http://www.mermaidsuk.org.uk